Sep 13, 2007

Very Basic European Human Rights



On the 11th of this month I spent a somewhat disagreeable day. It was in fact a day I could have done without. Since I have settled down here in the rural Netherlands, renovated an old house, and started a family. I have got to feel rather comfortable. It is very quiet here, there is no crime, I don't even have to lock the door. I have a great view over the fields at the back of house. If I want any milk I can go across to the father-in-laws farm and get some. What is even better still is that there is a nice little pub nestled nicely in among the 17 houses that make up the hamlet. The customers are nice and friendly and the beer is cheap and good. I need for little and want even less. In a word I am a content human being. It has got to such a point that I don't like to go into the nearest town to do my shopping once a week, and if I can avoid it I let the wife do it. Idyllic, yes it is. I had traveled the world working in different countries never staying more than a couple of years in one place. When you find the right women, you have to put down roots, and the ground here suits my roots perfectly. I have got what I want.

The problem is though, you can't keep the world out and what has been happening to this great country over the last few years has got me really depressed. First little things being demanded by camel herders who can't spell their own name. Then Imams tell us that we should throw all Homos off the highest building in Holland. In the end the whining and bleating gets more incessant and nauseating until you just want them to shut up. I think the greatest problem is that you look at them in there dresses and party hats and say too yourself, they can't be serious. The shock comes when you realize they are, the death of Theo Van Gogh was a shock too me, as I am certain it was for many Dutch. What is it these nutters are up too, so you begin to read that fairy tale they call a Holy book. It is only then, if you have never been interested in faith, that you realize that repeating arrant nonsense five times a day turns you into a sociopath. The final point of no return for me, came over the Danish cartoons. Now it has got to stop.

So early on the 11th I got out of bed, put on my second best cloths, my cheap pair of reserve glasses and with my passport in my back pocket I caught the train to Brussels to attend the demonstration against the Islamisation of Europe. I was in the thick of it and was no more than feet away when the police started to arrest the leaders of Vlaams Belang. I took plenty of pictures and I will post them on a later posting but what really caught my eye and in many ways show up our real dilemma was a very small book I picked up in the E.U. parliament building. I had to go in to see someone I know and when I came out I picked one up. I wonder how much money they spent put this screed together, not much I dare say. They can spend millions putting together a 500 page constitution that nobody wants and then spend millions more changing its name so they can implement it by the back door. Spend millions on putting together what should be a European equivalent of the the American Bill of Right, no way. As you can see above picture of the book it is almost insignificant and thin on the ground in content full of blathering fluff. They also insult you by saying that it is free and you cannot sell it, as if anybody in his right mind would want the dam thing. This was the enduring impression of the E.U. I received when I left Brussels later that night.

1 comment:

Exile said...

"I took plenty of pictures and I will post them"

Looking forward to seeing them! And it was great meeting you there. I look forward to the next time.